Forward Motion, Part 3

Written By: Colleen - Apr• 24•12

I’m really glad that I talked with Jay about how stagnant I’ve been feeling lately.  As I mentioned earlier, he told me that since it didn’t seem like any new opportunities were coming to me, I should use this interim time to create an opportunity and spend some time working on personal projects to help me feel better.  I spent the rest of the evening thinking about this.

This was mid-last week.  The day after we had this discussion, I listened to the very last Media Junkyard episode with Rob and Kolkie.  Towards the end of it, they had the following exchange.  The timing of it was perfect, so I took it as a sign.

Kolk: “You have these conversations with other folks and it’s like, ‘Wait, you met these people on the Internet?’ And it’s like, ‘Oh, no, no, no, you don’t understand!’ Then you have to talk about what a podcast is.  But, you feel like no matter how you try to explain it to someone, the weight isn’t there.  The importance isn’t there.”

Rob: “Saying that you met someone on the Internet – even to this day – it still has some kind of weird connotation to it.  People are like, ‘Oh.  The Internet…’ Even though it shouldn’t be like that and for a lot of people, it’s not.  Then you have to explain everything and there’s no simple way to explain it.”

Kolk: “The other day, I realized that, you know, what if…?  What if we didn’t do the show?  Or we didn’t agree to go down to Raleigh [for the Autism Speaks Podcast in 2009]?  We didn’t meet Skypeck and Robin?  These are all huge ‘what if’s?’.  We would’ve never gone to Comic Con; we would’ve never had those experiences.  We wouldn’t have met Adam and I wouldn’t have come out to visit Adam [in California].  I wouldn’t be where I am right now [living in the Bay Area].  I would be in NY with the grind and hating it.  There’s so many ‘what ifs?’ that it’s strange to think about.  I’m so grateful for everything and I’m grateful for the experiences that I had.  It’s just so crazy to think about.  For us, it’s so natural and it just feels like the next way you meet people.  You meet people through school and you meet people through college and you meet people through work and then it’s, ‘Oh yeah, I met people through my hobby; I met people through podcasting.’  It was just another outlet, another way to meet people and that felt as right as, ‘Oh yeah, these are my work friends, these are my podcast friends.'”

I am going to move forward with an idea I came up with it while I was doing all those “Jay & Colleen Origin Story” posts last year.  I want to put together a book that compiles stories like Jay & mine’s or like the MJ boys.  Stories that will have the same feel-good-ness as the Chicken Soup for the Soul books had, only painting a picture of the positive side of new media & the Internet.  Ideally, I would love to get testimonies from any of you out there and supplement them with news stories, such as people using Twitter to help a child get an organ transplant (I believe Alirio told about this happening close to home, though I could be mistaken).  Social media and the Internet have been around long enough now that I think that enough time has gone by to have a success story or two about how someone’s life was changed in ways that it never could have without it.

Just look at me.  I now live in Raleigh, North Carolina and I am married to a man that I met through podcasting, a man that I would have had no other possible way of knowing if not for new media.  Half of the friends that Jay & I invited to our wedding were people that we had me through podcasting.

I’m not the only person to have had their life changed so drastically in a way that wouldn’t have been possible 15 years ago.  I want to make those who go, ‘Oh. The Internet…’ understand that the world may be smaller nowadays, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  For every bad story, there is an amazing story.

I’m going to need help.  I need help spreading the word and getting people to contribute.  Everyone has a story and I would love to hear it and if you’ll let me, share it.  Is this idea worth moving forward with?  It’s only in the early stages still.  Will you help me?

I am going to use the email address JayandColleen@gmail.com or you can let me know what you think in the comments section.

Thank you.  If you think this is a stupid idea, please be nice to me, haha.

No Comments

1. Will says:

I love this idea!

2. kelly says:

This is a great idea! Some of my best friends today are ones I met online in 1999. We all loved Buffy the vampire slayer, and back then there were email groups (think yahoo groups now) and we would email and chat on AIM for hours every day. A group of 15 of us got super tight and all met in real life the summer of ’03 and every summer after that. It’s evolved so much that they aren’t even my Internet friends, they’re just my family. And one of the girls is now my roommate of five years! would be happy to share more via email if this sounds like something you’d like for your book! Good luck!

3. Lynn says:

It’s a neat idea. I can’t say the internet or new media has affected my life in that way though (yet?) Good luck! Let us know how it comes along.

4. Anne-Sophie says:

You already know that I love this idea and I am sure it’ll be a success. I’ll definitely help you spread the word and will contribute if you let me. 🙂

5. Krissy says:

Wonderful idea! I met my fiancé on the internet, if it wasn’t for one decision I made then I would have never of met him, and we wouldn’t be where we are today (I’d probably been single and lonely haha)… I think there are many great stories out there to be told and read 🙂

6. Stevi says:

Great idea Coll! I agree with Rob and Kolkie and you that it’s nearly impossible to explain to some people how the relationships made on the Internet can be strong, fulfilling and creatively nurturing. Yet I know lots of people whose lives have been changed for the better by the Internet. Not the least of which is my husband’s, and therefore mine as well. We would not have a lot of the good that is in our lives without the Internet. Also, one of my best friends has a very successful marriage with a man she met from a dating site.

7. Colleen says:

Wow, thank you guys for the response and kind words. I’m so thrilled. If you don’t mind, I will probably also send out an email to some of you who offered to help. I hope I am not stepping out of line doing so.

@Will – Thanks 😀

@Kelly – that is PERFECT. I would love it if you and any of your friends would write me. Thank you so much.

@Lynn – You have affected J&J’s life by truly touching them by being the only person to have attended their panel every single year. They (we) look forward to seeing you every year at SDCC and can always count on getting a friendly smile and much appreciated support. We LOVE you! xoxo

@Anne-Sophie – Thanks for not shooting the idea down. You were the second person I told about it after I told Jay. I am counting on your contributing and helping me spread the word! You’re one of my inspirations behind the idea. I am going to send you an email or Fb message. What would you prefer?

@Krissy – Also perfect. If you want to send me something, I would love it. Can be big or small. Otherwise, I’ll probably hunt you down while I’m compiling everything and make you answer questions 😉

@Stevi – This comment made me smile. Thank you 🙂 I wouldn’t know your lovely face without all of this!

8. Gena says:

It’s a GREAT idea Colleen! We have not even begun to understand just how much social media has impacted us. And I’m not talking about Internet dating, but organic, true and spontaneous experiences, like how you met your husband. It’s funny, we adapt. Very quickly to having social media and gadgets in our society. But, our ability to process and understand the effects, the meaning, that comes slowly. As a species, I’m not sure if we even understand the social and evolutionary impact of TV, let alone these quickly evolving technologies that lead to the social networks we have now. Ten years ago, I could not have predicted podcasts, FB, Twitter, IPads. As recently as 2005, I didn’t know any of these things. Now it’s a lifeline. I KNOW you can do this book idea!!!

9. Gena says:

Ps. I’m willing to help, also. My background is anthropology, psychology, and philosophy,so I look at stuff via these prisms. And since I’ll never write a book, I want to see others fulfill their dream.