642 Things to Write About Challenge: Week 2

Written By: Colleen - Jan• 11•13

642ThingstoWriteAbout-collwritesHello, everyone! Happy Friday! (Or whatever day you are reading this blog post on.) I was really happy with the response that I got last week after I mentioned my plans to do this “642 Things to Write About” challenge. Thank you SO much to everyone who humored me and played along. It made me so happy to see the notifications of comments on my phone on Saturday morning. Yay! I hope we can keep it up this week. I went back and forth between three different topics for Week 2 and decided to go with the “easiest” one. Some of these topics require some thought, some require some sentimentality, and others require creativity. I didn’t want to scare anyone away just yet… 😉 So without further ado, here’s this week’s topic. If you want to participate, please leave your contributions in the comments!

“Describe something you wanted badly and once you got it, never used.”

When I was a wee girl all the way back in middle school, I was obsessed with all of The Sims products. I loved being able to create my own worlds and stories. Some things never change, I guess. I played SimCity 2000, SimTown, SimCity 3000, The Sims, and SimTower. I should also throw RollerCoaster Tycoon in there too, though that’s not a Sims product. I kinda dabbled in SimLife and SimFarm, but not enough to really give a hoot about them. My favorites were SimTown, SimTower, and The Sims. I loved SimTown because you didn’t have to worry about money and loved SimTower because it was just plain fun to build your own skyscraper.

At some point in my adolescence, I outgrew most of the Sims products except The Sims, which was released in 2000. My grandparents had the program on their home computer and even bought me some of the expansion packs. The Sims: Livin’ Large was my JAM. I remember when I discovered being able to download my own avatars and outfits and furniture and fun things like that and put them into the game. I even had all of the cheats for unlimited money and good moods written down on scrap paper somewhere. Towards the end of high school and into my college years, I pretty much forgot about all things The Sims. Cut to my senior year of college when I discovered that there was a newly released The Sims 2 & decided to break out my old disks. I got back into it as much as a busy college senior could – mainly on week nights when I didn’t have homework or was sitting around watching TV with my roommates. This was back when we didn’t have free wifi everywhere, so it was easier to play a game on my laptop while watching TV than it was to try to sit in a spot where the Internet cable could reach, haha.

Anyway, I had a very brief renewed love affair with The Sims circa 2005-2006. Then life got busy again and I completely forgot all about it. It wasn’t until 2009, after I bought my first [and current] MacBook, that I had this strange urge to play The Sims again. I went into an Apple Store on Long Island to purchase The Sims 2. For some reason, I didn’t like it; I think because my nostalgia had inspired me to buy it and this was just a different Sims than I remembered. I quickly returned it and was worried that I would never be able to find the original Sims game for a Mac. Funny enough, I still have all of my PC-compatible copies of The Sims and 2 or 3 expansions, including Livin’ Large, Hot Date, and Superstar. Anyway, I whined about it for a little while but wasn’t motivated enough to actually go find the right version. I wanted it really badly, but never actually attempted to buy it.

thesimscompletecollectionWell. Because I have an awesome man, Jay didn’t forget. For Christmas 2009, he bought me a Mac-compatible version of The Sims Complete Collection! I was super excited. I had big plans to install it and play it while I was on LI for the holidays. Then I actually went to Long Island…and never used it. In fact, since I finally got This Sims Complete Collection, I have never played it one time! I still have that game sitting on my desk in my bedroom. It’s not unopened; I have opened it and considered playing it a few times, but for some reason just never have. I certainly don’t feel like I’ve outgrown it by any means. I think it’s because you can’t do anything else while you’re playing it and I’ve officially hit that unfortunate point in life where its a rarity that I can only do one thing at a time.  I’m going to blame it on that. However, I did a lot of reading about all things Sims while writing this post today and it has brought up some really good memories. I could’ve written short stories about the daily lives and back stories of half of the Sims characters I created. It was definitely a tool for my creativity. I think I may actually install it this weekend and give it a whirl for an hour or so. Maybe.

No Comments

1. Elizabeth says:

I love you for this. Similar story — I was addicted to The Sims when it first came out, got every single expansion pack, and then got The Sims 2 a little after it came out. Loved it, but college took up most of my time. Sometime in 2010 I got the urge to play again and so I bought a couple of expansion packs, installed them all on my new iMac…and played it for maybe 2 days. That was it. It’s still there, sitting, waiting for me, but like you I cannot convince myself to sit down and play it. Will I throw it out? NEVER!

(I somehow missed your post from last week so I’m headed back to check that out!)

• Colleen says:

@Elizabeth – That is too funny! I actually just changed one detail that Jay corrected me on – he bought me The Sims Complete Collection because I was whining about the newer versions not having Livin’ Large, haha. Obviously I have never played any of these Sims games that are in this apartment and I do maintain that this should change at some point soon. I think I need a snow day as an excuse!

2. sitakatherine says:

This is a difficult one! I don’t think that there is anything that I really wanted that I didn’t use once I got it. There are probably many things that I got bored of quickly, but I would use things like that right away.

• Colleen says:

@Des, generally I’ll use something right away or if I don’t, rediscover it after a year and then use the heck out of it. This is a rare exception, haha.

3. Michael says:

God, I used to love SimCity! Anyway, for me it was a gaming item too. When WiiFit first came out and were in short supply I got one and I think it may actually still be in the box. It seemed like a great idea but I just didn’t really use the Wii that much and it was quickly forgotten.

• Colleen says:

@Mike – I decided that I’m going to bring the Complete Collection to the IcePlex during the marathon and we can all take turns finally using it! WiiFit was one of the things that my mom bought for herself & us girls back at home, but I think we all used it maybe for a month after we got it, then stopped.

4. Kari says:

I was obsessed with Roller coaster Tycoon! I had 1 and 2 with all the add on packs. When 3 came out they had completely redone the look of it, made it more 3-d and I hated it! I never played it!

Every once in a while now I will pull out 1 and/or 2 and become completely obsessed again! So much so I neglect laundry or some sort of other house work!

• Colleen says:

@Kari, I never played the 3D one and now I know not to even try. I had one of the add on packs; I think it was Loopy Landslides, though I can’t remember for certain. I kinda want to find a Mac version of the original, but I think it would be the same situation as The Sims.

5. Will says:

I loved SimCity and The Sims. I had so many all-day gaming sessions. One time I let my roommate install my copy and he played so much that he wasn’t getting his schoolwork done.

Something I wanted so bad an never used. I would have to say a Nintendo Wii. The were in short supply when they first came out and I went through a lot of hassle over a couple of months to get one. For the first few months I got a good amount of use out of it, but it quickly became a dust collector.

• Colleen says:

Will, that’s exactly what Mike said, haha! I think the Wii got the same amount of use in my household when it first came out and my mom bought it because of the Wii fit stuff. After a few weeks, it went pretty much unused. Before we got our Apple TV, Jay would use our Wii for Netflix, I think? It streams one of those programs.

6. Alright, this one is a rather embarrassing story as well as one that dates myself. I might not use this one as a launching point for a blog post…or perhaps I might.

When I was in high school, Michael Jackson was huge. This is when “Beat It” and then “Thriller” were chart toppers. He was *the* thing. I decided that I wanted to own a jacket like the red leather one with the zippers he wore in the video for Beat It. It was very much not me. I am neither red-leather nor shiny zippers (not then, and not now) but I really really wanted this jacket.

Sears or JCPenney and a cheap pleather knock off of the jacket for something like $45 or $50. When I was in high school, only earning money through baby sitting, this was a lot of hours spent watching children. I saved up over several months, and then finally purchased the jacket.

I never wore it. Not even once.

After purchase, it went into the closet, still in the plastic bag with the hanger sticking out that the department store put over it when I purchased it. After I went to college, it went into a box in my Mom’s basement. When she remarried and sold our house, I lost track of it. I don’t know if it’s still in her basement, or if it just disappeared.