642 Things to Write About Challenge: Week 5

Written By: Colleen - Feb• 01•13

Happy February, everyone!  Not much to say this week.  I have been so beyond busy at work lately that I haven’t had much time to stop to eat lunch, let alone work on a good post for today.  I thought I would do a really easy one this week, one that hopefully everyone can do!  I hope you enjoy it. 😉

Here’s the topic for Week 5’s writing challenge:

“Your favorite moment in film.”

When I saw this topic, I knew without even having to think about it what my favorite moment in film is.  The following scene from one of my all-time favorite movies, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, is my favorite moment in film.  If you haven’t seen the movie, you should definitely check it out.  It stars Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Elijah Wood, Kirsten Dunst, Tom Wilkinson, Mark Ruffalo, and David Cross.  It’s fantastic.  The premise of the story is a man, Joel, and woman, Clementine, go through a bad break-up and Clementine hires a company to erase her memories of Joel all together.  Devastated, Joel decides to do the same thing.  The story follows Joel as his memories memories are erased in reverse chronological order.  The following scene is towards the end of the movie, right before the last of his memories of her are gone.  My favorite moment starts at 1:35 in the clip, when Clementine says, “This is it, Joel.  It’s going to be gone soon” and he responds, “I know.”  “What do we do?” She asks.  He simply replies, “Enjoy it.”

The beauty and heartbreaking sense of impending loss of something that he’ll never get back is what makes this my favorite moment in film.  I relate to it every single time I feel I’m about to loose something precious to me that I can’t get back – college, moving out of Astoria, moving away from home, etc.  I just think it’s a beautiful moment in film.

What’s your favorite moment in film?  Here’s a list I found if you need any inspiration.  Leave it in the comments below!  Have a good weekend!

P.S. My runner-up favorite moment in film is in Casablanca, when Rick walks in to yell at Sam for playing “As Time Goes By” and sees Elsa sitting there.  That’s quickly followed up by the “Here’s looking at you, kid” moment.  In case you can’t tell, Casablanca is another favorite movie of mine.

55 Comments

1. Alright, I can do this one. Maybe I’ll expand my answer on my own blog. The three moments that came to mind for me are (In the order they came to me).

1. Han Solo’s brilliant escape from the Empire after leaving Hoth in “The Empire Strikes Back”. Especially when he evades the Star Destroyers who almost fly into one another and eventually enters the asteroid field. My fav movie of all time.

2. The entire opening sequence of “The Lion King” set to Elton John’s Circle of Life. Epic and I cry every time.

3. If the small screen can count as “film” then the end of “The Constant”. You know the scene. Penny/Des. Perfection.

• Colleen says:

I also love the end of The Constant. It is the most perfect moment in all of LOST.

As for Eternal Sunshine, even though it’s full of sadness and loss, it’s also full of hope – after all, they meet again on the train as “strangers” and have a new chance at love. I think the concept that they’re soulmates drawn to each other and getting another chance despite everything is quite lovely. That, and this movie taught me to cherish good memories throughout the bad times.

• Melissa says:

I do like the soul mates aspect to Eternal Sunshine since I happen to believe in that sort of thing myself, but I ended the movie feeling depressed in spite of it. I can see why you love it. My officemate raved about it until i finally rented it. and I agree that this scene captures the essence of “enjoy what time gives you while you have it”. I was just so sad at the end. I think it was less because of Kate and Jim’s characters as the messed up secondary characters. Maybe I’ll have to watch it again.

Again, it was amazing. I’ll watch anything with Kate Winslet. She’s brilliant. And Jim Carey is really good when doing drama. He doesn’t seem to get to do the non-Schtick rolls very often.

This was fun. Thanks again.

• Colleen says:

@Melissa, I’ll concede that the storyline with the secondary characters is depressing. I must be weird lol because I still love the movie despite that. Thanks for sharing 🙂

2. By the way, “Eternal Sunshine..” is brilliant, but after watching it once, I can’t watch it again. It is so full of sadness and loss that I need to watch “Princess Bride” afterward just to recover

….although…

“Inconceivable” now I have more scenes to add to my list! 🙂

Thanks for the fun challenge, and I hope that you can I both can actually eat lunch again at work.

3. pennywidmore says:

I could only watch Eternal Sunshine one time. That movie was creative, charming, and IT BROKE MY HEART! Wait, am I talking about Casablanca? Oh right, I meant both. I truly did enjoy both films, and the scenes you chose … Well, I usually reserve tears like that for when I’m watching Lost.

4. Michael says:

I love the Star Wars choice, Han rolling under the door to escape Stormtroopers was something I reenacted as a kid thousands of times. As an adult I’ve been drawn to simpler films, and those are the ones that affect me the most. The end of Brokeback Mountain, when Ennis is in his trailer and has a visit from his daughter, then after she leaves he grasps Jack’s shirt in the closet and the shot pans out the window to the mountains. It’s a simple scene but gives you a grand look at the character, his loss and his life.

5. sitakatherine says:

This is too difficult. I have a hard time choosing favorites of anything. I’ll say something is my favorite and then the next day something else is my favorite. I can’t even think of all the movies I’ve watched, so I’m going to have to pass on this one again.