Another day, another DIY project inspired by Pinterest. I was on a terra cotta kick after my jewelry tower/decorative wine cork tower (which is sitting on my brand new dresser, but is still a hybrid of both, lol) was finished and just started searching for “terra cotta crafts” on Pinterest. I came across a picture of a candy jar made out of terra cotta planters, but it was just a JPEG file uploaded as a pin. Don’t you have when people do that, just upload a picture of their finished product and don’t actually give you any sort of details or instructions as to how they made it?
Anyway, I then did a Pinterest search for “terra cotta candy” and found all sorts of neat candy jars and gum ball machines that people had made. I decided to do a Halloween theme and make a candy jar to put candy corn, Reeses Pieces, etc. in. I didn’t follow one particular website, but rather got ideas from a whole bunch of them. It took a little bit of running around between Michael’s, Lowes, the dollar store, and Wal-Mart to coordinate all the sizes I wanted, but I LOVE the final product. I’m so happy with how it came out that I made more for my mom, sisters, MIL, and office. Here’s my final product:
- 1 Terra Cotta planter (size of your choice)
- 1 Terra Cotta planter bottom/saucer (size of your choice)
- 1 glass bowl (size of your choice; you can get a small or medium-sized one from a dollar store like The Dollar Tree or a medium-large or large one from Wal-Mart for $2.00.)
- Ribbon or other decorative pieces
- 1 round wooden cabinet knob (I got one from Lowes for $0.89, but it wasn’t truly round; a wooden doll’s head from Michael’s will also do just fine.)
- Epoxy or Gorilla Glue
- Clean and paint the terra cotta planters and wooden knob whatever color you want. I went with black.
- Decorate as you want. I painted the Jack-O’-Lantern on the glass bowl and added a ribbon around the base of the planter, but you can paint decorations or do whatever you want.
- Glue the knob to the top of the saucer and the glass bowl to the planter. I added the candy corn in to give the glass jar some weight and help hold it in place as the Gorilla Glue dried.
- Fill ‘er up with candy and enjoy!