After a brief sabbatical, I decided to get crafty again. I had seen this “Free Dobby” sock board pinned on Pinterest months ago and always kept it in the back of my mind as something to do. I always seem to have an extra sock after I do laundry and this seemed the perfect idea for solving where to put them until the next load gets done and their possible match is found. Since it was really crappy out this past Friday and Saturday, I figured it was as good a time as any to get to work. So I took an extra piece of wood I had lying around from when I disassembled my old desk before tossing it, broke out the paint & paintbrushes, and gave it my best shot. Here’s the final result:
I’m kinda bummed that it doesn’t look as good at the original one that I got the idea from, but that’s okay. It’s hanging in the laundry room, so I’m literally the only one who will ever see it in person, haha. I printed the “Free Dobby!” and the Hogwarts crest on clear labels that I got at Wal-Mart. I think the biggest problem is that the font is too small because I wanted to fit them on one label. I may go back and completely redo it at some point, using bigger font spread out over multiple labels. The other option is to do a pencil rub transfer and paint it myself. My other mistake was not cutting out the crest, because you can see the entire label. I’m not super proud of this project, but I’m still glad that I did it because I really needed a place to store those misfit socks…
- Wood board
- Paint/paint brushes
- Clothes pins
- Gorilla glue
- Big, clear labels (optional – Here’s instructions for the pencil-rub transfer route)
- “Harry Potter” font, which you can get as a (safe) free download here.
- The Hogwarts crest, which you can easily Google.
- Mod Podge (optional)
- Paint the board and the clothes pins the colors of your choice.
- Print out the text, Hogwarts crest, and whatever else you want. Stick them on once the paint is dry.
- Decorate anything else you want to on there.
- Optional – Apply a coat of mod podge. Be careful; it caused part of my letters to start to peel.
- Glue the clothes pins on.
- Hang up and enjoy.