So for months, we’ve been hearing about Lady Gaga‘s new single from her upcoming album called “Born This Way.” I’ve been a Gaga fan despite how “eccentric” she can get since “Just Dance” so I was excited to finally get some new music from her. I don’t know what I expected “Born This Way” to sound like but it definitely wasn’t what it is and I think I like that. After she sang the chorus at the VMAs and then released the lyrics in full a few weeks ago, I kinda expected some kind of Xtina-like, heartfelt, over-dramatic ballad that was basically a song version of when she gets all preachy in concert and sounds like your drunk roommate trying to comfort you after your boyfriend stands you up. In retrospect, I should’ve totally seen the disco-heavy dance anthem coming! As Kim said on Twitter, “She’s definitely catering to a specific crowd w/ it.” Elton John declared it the “new gay anthem” that would “obliterate ‘I Will Survive’.” I hope this doesn’t come out the wrong way but how did I not expect a gay anthem to be such a fun song? Anyway, I don’t want to get too in-depth because I’m not a music critic, just a fan but here’s my first thoughts:
- It was fun. Not the greatest Gaga song ever and doesn’t even come close to “Bad Romance” level of awesome but it’s a lot of fun to listen to. It’ll be great to work out to.
- The lyrics (mainly the bridge) are kinda cheesy but she said she wrote the song in 10 minutes so I suppose that’s why. I think the lyrics and beat work well together.
- Love the line, “Don’t be a drag, just be a queen.” It’s basically the Gaga motto & a great pop line.
- Maybe turning 27 has made me lose touch but I had to Google what the capital “H-I-M” reference meant and I couldn’t find anything except a Finnish rock band. It’s obviously some sort of LGT-reference but I’m clueless. Fill me in and feel free to mock me.
- I like that it’s a simple, merry way of getting her message out instead of the normal Gaga-preachy.
- How long until it’s covered on Glee by Kurt and Blaine?
Listen here if you haven’t already.
Lady Gaga – Born This Way (Radio Version) by AnimalMon
Update: I’m not thinking the H-I-M thing is just “Him” aka God. Am I wrong?