Obligatory 1-3-13 Post

I’m not going to get many obligatory “fun number posts” this year, but c’est la vie.  I guess I’ll have to wait for the next decade to start before the sequential months, days, and years happen again, haha.

I hope everyone had a great end of the year.  Christmas through New Year’s was crazy for me.  I headed to Long Island on December 21 and kept quite busy while there.  We had a family party on Dec. 22, I went to Kolkie’s house for a family dinner with his parents, Rob & his mom, and their friend & his wife on Dec. 23.  I managed to get a run in on Christmas Eve (Dec. 24) before we did Christmas Eve things (mass & my family coming over to my parents’ house for an Italian feast).  Jay got in on Christmas morning and we all headed to my grandparents’ house.  Another fun holiday at Grandma & Grandpa’s house.  On Christmas night, Jay, my sisters, and I saw Les Misérables.  We tried to go to a 9:45pm showing, but it was sold out so we ended up going at 10:15pm instead.  We got home around 1:15am and went to bed immediately.  Jay had to be at the airport at 5:45am the morning of Dec. 26, which means we had to be up by 5:00am and out the door by 5:25am.  I think Jay slept those few hours, but I was awake for most of them.  I was nervous that we’d oversleep and he’d miss his flight; I felt terrible that Jay was getting so little sleep on account of seeing a movie that I had been the one to push to see instead of waiting a week; I was writing a review of the movie in my head lol; I was thinking about how uncomfortable my grandpa looked during the day because of the effects of this new chemo treatment plan.  There were just a whole lotta thoughts and my mind wasn’t ready to shut down yet.



We hauled ourselves to the airport pre-dawn and Jay got on his first flight out of Long Island’s MacArthur Airport without hitch.  I waited until he was in the air before finally laying back down to get 90 minutes of sleep before I had to be up to get ready to get to my flight, which was at 1:30pm at LaGuardia.  Jay had some flight delays, but I landed in Raleigh with no problem.  In fact, because he had the car keys, I had to wait at RDU for him for 2 hours (we were supposed to land at the same time).  I joked that since I had no delays getting to Raleigh, of course the universe would course correct itself to make sure I had a delay after getting home!

I dragged myself to work on December 27.  On December 28, headed back to RDU to catch a flight to Minneapolis-St. Paul, Minnesota for one of my best friends from high school’s wedding.  Ian, for those of you who don’t know, was born on the same day as me (February 8) at the same hospital (Winthrop in Mineola, NY), two hours earlier than I was.  In fact, his dad told me that there were only two babies born that night.  We met in middle school, where I met most of my high school friends that I’m still friends with to this day, and didn’t find any of these coincidences out until high school.  Ian was also my prom date (we went as friends).  I started crying when I saw all of my “boys” up there on the alter together.  It was just a moment of realization of how lucky I am to still have them in my life.  They were all at my wedding, too.  I may not see them all the time anymore, but to have everyone together on the most important days of our lives and to watch them be such integral parts of Ian’s wedding (co-Best Men & Groomsmen) really tugged at my heart strings.  I may have always struggled to get along with myself through these years, but I have always been blessed to have wonderful people around me, then and now.  These pictures are my friends from high school plus Joe, who I went to college with and introduced Ian and the rest of them to.  I moved to Raleigh, Joe stayed friends with them all and was a groomsman.  The guys standing on the outsides of the second picture are the bride’s brother (left) and Ian’s brother (right).

The Longwood Group


I had bought this awesome dress back before Thanksgiving.  It was black & lacy and had one long, lace sleeve and was off the shoulder on the other side.  It was sexy, but not totally my style.  It fit me before Thanksgiving and the month of Christmas parties started, but when I put it on the day I got home from LI, it was all sorts of not working for me.  So on my lunch break the one day I was at work between trips, I managed to find an awesome dress that was much more my style.  I love it so much, I have to share it.


I got back from Minnesota late on Dec. 30 and was hurting a bit as I crawled into work on Dec. 31.  Mentally, I was not there and physically, I was adjusting to the shock of getting up early after going to bed between 1:oo-3:30am every single day since Dec. 21.  Luckily, we closed up shop early and left about 3:15pm.  On New Year’s Eve, Jay, Clif, and I went to our local Yard House.  We thought it was going to be packed, so we got there about 8:oopm, but it wasn’t packed at all nor did any of the New Year’s Eve stuff really start happening until 11:00pm.  By that time, we had been there for three hours without much to do other than entertain ourselves and Jay and Clif were itching to go back to our apartment to watch Back to the Future.  So, we did that, lol.  We watched the last 15 minutes of Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Year’s Eve, did our own toast at midnight, and then resumed the rest of the movie.

When the night was still young:


…3 hours later:


I had every intention of doing great things on New Year’s Day – return to working out, clean up the apartment, put away the Christmas decorations, go to the mall and return my original dress to Ian’s wedding, etc.  None of those happened.  For the first time in a very long time, I did absolutely nothing on a day off.  I didn’t even shower until 6:00pm and that was only because we were going to see The Hobbit at 7:10pm and I didn’t want to have to get up earlier to shower before now before work the next day.  I loved The Hobbit.  I’m so glad we finally got to see it.  I’m going to start rereading the book this weekend, which I can do now that I have essentially nothing to do for the next few weeks.  Hooray!

Crap, this post was supposed to be one short paragraph and then a video I found online.  I guess that didn’t happen as planned, huh?  If you’ve made it this far down, thank you.  These posts that I do where I recap everything are more for me, so I can record what’s going on in life and look back on it in the future.  I know they’re not really what other people want to read, so again, my sincere gratitude for sticking around.  Now, back to bugging Zoe…

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
This entry was posted in Christmas, Friends, Good times, New Years, Weekend. Bookmark the permalink.