What do you do after you make coasters from pages of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone? Why, you make coasters out of pages from The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, of course! My idea to make coasters using book pages actually came about because I was trying to figure out something to do for my sister Katelyn in response to the awesome LOTR candles she made me for my birthday last year. I found a ‘gently used’ soft-cover copy of Fellowship at the flea market and set about trying to find quotes or scenes that I loved and wanted to immortalize on tile with Antique Mod Podge.
Click the thumbnails to enlarge if you want to see any of them up close. The selections I chose were:
- The first page of the opening chapter – Just like with the Harry Potter coasters, I wanted to include the beginning of the book with its first sentence: “When Mr. Bilbo Baggins of Bag End announced that he would shortly be celebrating his eleventy-first birthday with a party of special magnificence, there was much talk and excitement in Hobbiton.”
- I had to include the famous verse of Elven-lore, the penultimate line which appears on the ring itself: “One Ring to rule them all and in the darkness bind them.”
- The title page to the chapter “Strider” was included for sentimental reasons. Our family dog growing up was named Strider after Aragorn’s pseudonym.
- I love the verse that Gandalf writes to Frodo and wanted to make sure it was included on the coasters: “All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost…”
- Next up, I used the scene between Frodo and Bilbo at Rivendell where they’re discussing adventures and what Bilbo has been up to since leaving the Shire.
- The sixth coaster has the exert from the council that decides who will be accompanying Frodo to Mordor to bring destroy the Ring: “The Company of the Ring shall be Nine; and the Nine Walkers shall be set against the Nine Riders that are evil, With you and your faithful servant, Galdalf will go; for this shall be his great task, and maybe the end of his labours.”
- The famous Balrog scene is next, including “You cannot pass!” and “Fly, you fools!”
- Lord Celeborn and Lady Galadriel welcoming the remaining Fellowship members to Lothlorien is featured on the final coaster.